OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Issues concerning Downtown as described by the Downtown Council. River to 31st Street, I-35 to Bruce R. Watkins.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Re: OFFICIAL: Port Authority Riverfront Project

Post by KCPowercat »

Highlander wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 pm Can't wait for an actual ped connection. That main street bridge is cool as an overlook but sucks for connection. The other option through Columbus park is dangerous and almost unusable.
Where is the pedestrian connection going to be?

What option do you have from Columbus Park? Walking down Guinotte Avenue to Lydia or NE Industrial Trafficway? Yikes.

It's rather amazing how isolated Berkley Riverfront Park is from the rest of downtown KC. You couldn't make it more isolated if you actually set out to do so.

Not sure I'd want to walk down this street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1145333 ... ?entry=ttu
Next to Grand overpass https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... educed.pdf

Yes I've walked it few times during COVID and it's very dangerous. I think the CP neighborhood is working with the city to have a safer path studed?
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:09 am
Highlander wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:03 am
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:35 pm Can't wait for an actual ped connection. That main street bridge is cool as an overlook but sucks for connection. The other option through Columbus park is dangerous and almost unusable.
Where is the pedestrian connection going to be?

What option do you have from Columbus Park? Walking down Guinotte Avenue to Lydia or NE Industrial Trafficway? Yikes.

It's rather amazing how isolated Berkley Riverfront Park is from the rest of downtown KC. You couldn't make it more isolated if you actually set out to do so.

Not sure I'd want to walk down this street:

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1145333 ... ?entry=ttu
Next to Grand overpass https://kcstreetcar.org/wp-content/uplo ... educed.pdf

Yes I've walked it few times during COVID and it's very dangerous. I think the CP neighborhood is working with the city to have a safer path studed?
Columbus Park and Pendleton Heights, yes. Still waiting to hear back. I think they got international study at the end of March. The neighborhood wanted pedestrian and bike only, and the Port wanted to facilitate cars as well. I don't know how that shakes out.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

what was the scope of the study? Crossing the RR is one problem but even using industrial is pretty treacherous and I wouldn't recommend anybody walk it currently.
Belvidere
Pad site
Pad site

Post by Belvidere »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:36 am what was the scope of the study? Crossing the RR is one problem but even using industrial is pretty treacherous and I wouldn't recommend anybody walk it currently.
It's a little hard to define. We went in with the idea that we might get something like a Town of Kansas bridge. We had hoped that Spire would give up the property along 3rd Street and Port Authority seemed willing to help them find a replacement. I'm sure it would take a lot of remediation and it's near the tracks, but that would be a great place to put a bridge and maybe something like a dog park. It's around 13 acres.

3rd Street came up for its lack of sidewalks, lights, and traffic calming as well as a deteriorating bridge going over the railroad tracks currently. We discussed similar improvements to 5th Street in Columbus Park and how Berkley Parkway may eventually look.

Another option was to have a pedestrian bridge extending from Lydia which gives access to the Cliff Drive connector. That pedestrian bridge would connect to some other type of bridge for cars that goes into Berkley. I always had trouble visualizing that one, and I'm sure it would be expensive, but the engineers seemed to like it.

They suggested a car bridge with pedestrian and bike facilities on the side that would start around 3rd and Troost. We had a lot of concerns about turning Columbus Park into a free parking lot for the stadium, which is already happening to a degree, as well as an attractive shortcut to the riverfront.

We have not yet got to the engineering portion, so I don't know how many of these ideas are realistic. Some of them relied upon the railroad being willing to move some tracks closer together, and you can imagine how hard that is.

That rail crossing is one of the most dangerous in the state of Missouri, and we talked about how to keep from cutting off the East Bottoms in any way that would impede their development.

It feels as if they put the stadium there without the full logistics to support it and it's going to be a rough year until the streetcar goes in.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

appreciate the info
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

Two Birds-One Stone. April 12th...
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Is that the building for the beer garden?
KC_Ari
Strip mall
Strip mall

Post by KC_Ari »

FangKC wrote: Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:29 am Is that the building for the beer garden?
Yes.
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Belvidere wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:00 pm
KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 11:36 am what was the scope of the study? Crossing the RR is one problem but even using industrial is pretty treacherous and I wouldn't recommend anybody walk it currently.
It's a little hard to define. We went in with the idea that we might get something like a Town of Kansas bridge. We had hoped that Spire would give up the property along 3rd Street and Port Authority seemed willing to help them find a replacement. I'm sure it would take a lot of remediation and it's near the tracks, but that would be a great place to put a bridge and maybe something like a dog park. It's around 13 acres.
The two Spire sites could house dense multi-story buildings constructed over garages since they are already well-excavated below the grade of 3rd Street. One could run a public passage through the middle of the eastern parcel to a bridge over the tracks. I hope they can be persuaded to sell them. I'd also like to see Harrison and Campbell streets extended back to Guinotte.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+5th ... entry=ttu

https://www.google.com/maps/place/E+5th ... ?entry=ttu
3rd Street came up for its lack of sidewalks, lights, and traffic calming as well as a deteriorating bridge going over the railroad tracks currently. We discussed similar improvements to 5th Street in Columbus Park and how Berkley Parkway may eventually look.
The south side of 3rd Street east of Gillis would likely need a retaining wall built so that a sidewalk could be placed there. The embankment extends to the curb in places. If done right, this could be a cool stretch similar to parts of Armour Boulevard.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.1122863 ... ?entry=ttu
We have not yet got to the engineering portion, so I don't know how many of these ideas are realistic. Some of them relied upon the railroad being willing to move some tracks closer together, and you can imagine how hard that is.

That rail crossing is one of the most dangerous in the state of Missouri, and we talked about how to keep from cutting off the East Bottoms in any way that would impede their development.
As loathe as I would be to involve another government agency in anything, I would think the USDOT might be able to intervene in this issue about the rail crossings being dangerous and getting Kansas City Terminal Railroad officials to agree to move the tracks closer together and agree to enhanced surface signal crossings over the tracks as well as a couple of bridges over them.

Since the Union Pacific's Neff rail yards are being phased out, there will likely be less rail traffic in that area.

Look at the photo of Neff Yards at this link. It's cool.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/tc57/47803495391
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

How many incidents occur here?
FangKC
City Hall
City Hall

Post by FangKC »

Art Garden KC begins summer festival at Berkley Riverfront
The event will be held every Sunday from April 21 to Oct. 27 at Berkley Riverfront Park East from 11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
https://fox4kc.com/news/art-garden-kc-b ... iverfront/
bspecht
Western Auto Lofts
Western Auto Lofts

Post by bspecht »

Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

Looks phenomenal
langosta
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by langosta »

Cratedigger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:29 pm Looks phenomenal
400 units to break ground at end of season
Cratedigger
Valencia Place
Valencia Place

Post by Cratedigger »

langosta wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:33 pm
Cratedigger wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 4:29 pm Looks phenomenal
400 units to break ground at end of season
Amazing to hear
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

These are only renderings and plans are subject to change, but let’s take a moment to appreciate the vision. This is very dense and increases the density of the Berkley Riverfront significantly from the initial master plan. Getting the 400+ residential units, 10+ restaurants, and 2+ acres of park enhancements as part of phase 1 completed will change the look and feel of the neighborhood. Once fully developed, there will be nothing else like it.

And this doesn’t even fully represent the build-out of the Park. We still have that site Cordish has in their back pocket. Plus Core Phase 2 (which is poor in design compared to the Current’s effort). But all these projects work together to create a mixed-use neighborhood that’ll be active all year with employees, residents and guests. Everyone will be able to visit by Streetcar, Bike, Foot, or Car.
KCPowercat
Ambassador

Post by KCPowercat »

not to be a size queen but would have been cool to have a high end apartment/condo towering above all this even say 20 stories. Love it how it is though too.
Chris Stritzel
Penntower
Penntower

Post by Chris Stritzel »

KCPowercat wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 5:36 pm not to be a size queen but would have been cool to have a high end apartment/condo towering above all this even say 20 stories. Love it how it is though too.
I imagine that’s what Cordish’s project will yield.
KCMOJoe89
Pad site
Pad site

Post by KCMOJoe89 »

Great looking renderings. Would be great if later phases build in even greater residential density if the demand is there. That kayak launch is a nice touch.
grovester
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by grovester »

"East Village is too far away!"