Promenade Tower Development

Discuss items in the urban core outside of Downtown as described above. Everything in the core including the east side (18th & Vine area), Northeast, Plaza, Westport, Brookside, Valentine, Waldo, 39th street, & the entire midtown area.
chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Re: Promenade Tower Development

Post by chrizow »

does KC need a W Hotel before it gets an Aloft hotel?  e.g. does W pave the way for an Aloft, or do they open new locations of those concepts separately?

e.g. towns get a Gap before a Banana Republic, a Crate + Barrel before a CB2, a PF Chang's before a Pei Wei, etc...

or am i making things up?  :?
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I am overwhelmed with good news today. What's next? Britney Spears is single again?
SAVE THE PLAZA - FROM ZOMBIES! Find out how at:

http://twitter.com/TheKCRag
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

Umm... I hope this W Hotel thing wouldn't interfer with the one planned for the P&L District tower
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

ShowMeKC wrote: Umm... I hope this W Hotel thing wouldn't interfer with the one planned for the P&L District tower
I thought that was just speculation by forum posters that was put to bed?

chrizow
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by chrizow »

ShowMeKC wrote: Umm... I hope this W Hotel thing wouldn't interfer with the one planned for the P&L District tower
i was under the impression that the P+L district hotel/condo project hit snags and looked unlikely?  if not, direct me to The Truth.
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

How is it speculation when it made the KC Star? (I think it did) Not to mention that someone from Cordish actually commented on it.

Quotes:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 131141.htm
"The design of the condominium tower is unfinished. The building is expected to be at least 22 stories tall with 240 residential units. The ground level will include a Cosentino’s Gourmet Market, and a health club and parking garage is part of the project.

The Cordish Co. is working with Booth Hansen, a Chicago architecture firm, and the final plan for the condo tower is awaiting an effort to incorporate a boutique hotel. A final decision is expected within 100 days, Cordish said"

"Was at the Cordish office in TP on Wednesday, and spoke with Alan Hicks, Cordish's executive vice president. He said they're still negotiating with the city on the hotel part. If the hotel gets added, he said they'd add on 10-15 floors to the top of the condo tower, not add a seperate tower for the hotel. He said with the hotel, it'd be about the same height as 1201 Walnut."

"In case there was some confusion from my previous post... He said it'd be ONE tower. The condos are a go, and they're just waiting to hear from the city on the boutique hotel, which would add 10-15 more floors on top of the condo tower. "
Last edited by ShowMeKC on Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KCMax
Global Moderator
Global Moderator

Post by KCMax »

I know they are planning a boutique hotel, I think we were speculating it was a W Hotel. I'm not sure whether Cordish is still pursuing that or not.

ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

I'm sure they are, they were negotiating with the city as of last week or the week before.
The city should have no reason to deny this unless other hotels ignorantly complain about it.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

ShowMeKC wrote: I'm sure they are, they were negotiating with the city as of last week or the week before.
The city should have no reason to deny this unless other hotels ignorantly complain about it.
I have seen nothing in the star or anywhere else to indicate that this project is dead.  It's not a definate
either but I understand it's the hold up on the 12th main construction; so until we see construction on
this block, the negotiations are probably continuing. 
tat2kc
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by tat2kc »

The W hotel downtown was only discussd on here. It was never a rumor anywhere else.  It was never in the Star
Are you sure we're talking about the same God here, because yours sounds kind of like a dick.
Highlander
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by Highlander »

tat2kc wrote: The W hotel downtown was only discussd on here. It was never a rumor anywhere else.  It was never in the Star
You are right.....the star only said a "botique" hotel which we all assumed to be W (I checked the 12th/Main thread).  Funny how persistent speculation can become virtual reality.  The project at 12th and Main, however, is being held up by negotiations to get a "botique" hotel on the site, I think that much remains true.   
trailerkid
City Center Square
City Center Square

Post by trailerkid »

tat2kc wrote: The W hotel downtown was only discussd on here. It was never a rumor anywhere else.  It was never in the Star
http://www.hotel-online.com/News/PR2006 ... sSite.html

Oops..
KansasCityCraka
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by KansasCityCraka »

Oops is right...the link is broken...
ShowMeKC
Penntower
Penntower

Post by ShowMeKC »

not for me
Critical_Mass
Colonnade
Colonnade

Post by Critical_Mass »

Am I crazy?  For some reason I think/thought a W Hotel was the hotel portion of the West Edge project.  Was this discussed on here beyond fantasy/daydreaming? 
Burton
New York Life
New York Life

Post by Burton »

ShowMeKC wrote: How is it speculation when it made the KC Star? (I think it did) Not to mention that someone from Cordish actually commented on it.

Quotes:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 131141.htm
"The design of the condominium tower is unfinished. The building is expected to be at least 22 stories tall with 240 residential units. The ground level will include a Cosentino’s Gourmet Market, and a health club and parking garage is part of the project.

The Cordish Co. is working with Booth Hansen, a Chicago architecture firm, and the final plan for the condo tower is awaiting an effort to incorporate a boutique hotel. A final decision is expected within 100 days, Cordish said"

"Was at the Cordish office in TP on Wednesday, and spoke with Alan Hicks, Cordish's executive vice president. He said they're still negotiating with the city on the hotel part. If the hotel gets added, he said they'd add on 10-15 floors to the top of the condo tower, not add a seperate tower for the hotel. He said with the hotel, it'd be about the same height as 1201 Walnut."

"In case there was some confusion from my previous post... He said it'd be ONE tower. The condos are a go, and they're just waiting to hear from the city on the boutique hotel, which would add 10-15 more floors on top of the condo tower. "
Where'd you get those quotes??? :lol:
Everything in that KCBJ article is exactly what Hicks told us.
Maitre D
The Quiet Chair
The Quiet Chair

Post by Maitre D »

I'd love to see about 10 of those buildings all over the Plaza.  And 5 or more condo towers.

Of course, the #*$#  would still price me out of it like always, but maybe when I'm 74 I can afford to actually live on the Plaza.  Why they can't build some that range from 250K-350K, is beyond me.  Really is.
[img width=472 height=40]http://media.kansascity.com/images/champions_blue.gif[/img]

"For 15 years...KU won every time. There was no rivalry" - Frank Martin
JDluu
Pad site
Pad site

Post by JDluu »

In the Star:
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascit ... 965140.htm

In addition to the general goodness of the tif endorsment, its also good to see that they might be paying attention to the east side of the block that faces walnut. A sculpture park would be a lot nicer than a surface lot and the back of a holiday inn.
im2kull
Bryant Building
Bryant Building

Post by im2kull »

I love new buildings (multistory  :P )
What's graciously given to KC, is strong for the region as a whole.  Passion and benevolence will one day exeem towards all whom know true adoration.  We shall triumph to better the community as One within
THINK (ONE) KC.
moderne
Oak Tower
Oak Tower

Post by moderne »

A suburban office park block of a building.  Not worthy of the prominent site overlooking the Plaza and Museum district.